Weathering

Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Doors close, doors open, etc.

And that is to say, I'm pretty sure that God wouldn't end the Tour de France without beginning the Democratic National Convention. And I'm not talking politics; I'm talking great television. Oh, this is a riot. There's singing, there's dancing, there's thumb raising. Right now representatives from the fifty states are casting votes for John Kerry and taking advantage of the camera time to educate viewers at home about every famous person ever to have set foot within their state boundaries. (Aside: the guy from Texas just called Madame Secretary "Mr. Chairman". I think that might have been a party foul.) Anyway, three states have laid claim to the title "entertainment capital of the United States". Actually, New York one-upped California and Nevada by calling itself the entertainment capital of the world. However, they also claimed Bill Clinton as one of their own, so what are we to think? I'm telling you, this is great television. (Aside: shut the hell up, Wyoming.) (Aside: a woman is talking on her cell phone during the benediction.) OK, I am making fun, but I actually am having a good time watching the coverage. Matt isn't, though. He thinks it's all politics crap. And maybe it is, but it's fun and it's exciting. Not unlike the E! True Hollywood Story of Drew Barrymore.

On Monday Matt and I went out on a date. We used a gift certificate to Soho that my parents gave him as a birthday present. We chose a night when a jazz band that I had already heard in concert was playing. Since Matt loves jazz and I'm not such a fan, we thought it was a good compromise to see a group that I already knew that I liked. The dinner was excellent. After hearing Jess' review, I ordered crabcakes, and they were soooo good. They were the best crabcakes I've ever had, I think. They came in a creamy horseradish sauce. Yummy. And the music was good, too. I admit that I got bored at around 9:30, but it ended at 10:00, so I wasn't bored for long. In any case, I was thrilled just to go out on a Monday night!

Today has been a good day. This morning Helen and I ran the entire distance between the East Beach beach house and Stearn's Wharf, and then back again. I'm not sure how long that is, but I think it's between two and three miles. I know that is no great feat for a lot of people, but considering that we started off in June by walking three quarters of that distance and running the remaining quarter, we're doing pretty well. And today my advisor and I resubmitted my LAST paper. I have been working on these papers for years. Years! And now they are all done. I'm pretty sure the journal won't get back to us until after I'm gone, so they are officially out of my hands. That makes me very happy.




3 Comments:

  • Heather,
    We're so glad to hear that you've got those dreaded papers behind you. That must feel soooooo good. I also envy your ability to find humor in the political buffonery. I, like Matt, cannot watch it (or Everybody Loves Raymond for that matter). Love, Dad (Anonymous)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:34 PM, July 29, 2004  

  • buffoonery

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:38 PM, July 29, 2004  

  • You crack me up. I didn't especially want to watch the convention except for the state roll call, but I thought until this morning that it was tonight, not last night, so in the end I won't have seen any of it.
    Bear in mind, too, that God will not end the DNC without opening the Olympics soon after. We are truly the chosen people (by which, obviously, I mean specifically you and me).

    By Blogger JS, at 11:28 PM, July 29, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home