Weathering

Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Guys, I'm as surprised as the rest of you.

It turns out that there actually is something to be said for getting to work early. Here it is, 9:00, and I've been at my desk for two hours. And the weird thing is that I've actually been working! Sure, I've been emailing with Jess too, but I had to take advantage of the time we had before she left for her hair appointment.

Now, I come to the same realization every time I get to work early, but it isn't enough to motivate me to do it on a regular basis, and I'm surprised every time. Part of the reason that I don't try all that hard on most days to get to work early is that no matter what time I get here in the morning, I usually can't leave until a particular time in the evening, which makes for some unreasonably long work days. On some days that's because I have aerobics on campus after work. On other days it's because Matt and I drive in together, and he's actually a hard-working person who has something to accomplish on a given day, and I can't leave until he's ready. Now, I'm not just putting myself down--I was the same way my last year of graduate school. But now I'm a postdoc, and Will (the Thrill) once told me that if I worked thirty hours a week, I'd be the hardest-working postdoc in the world. I think he was exaggerating, but it's true that I do feel justified in taking a more leisurely approach to work now that I'm no longer a student. But anyway, today Matt is en route to Washington, DC, where he is going to give an excellent job talk for his potential future boss. And that means that I am on my own, with my own set of wheels, which, as you know, are not parked behind the Bren School.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home