Weathering

Friday, April 16, 2004

Anybody want some ham?

I just looked in the fridge for a late-afternoon snack and happened upon the remaining 8.37 pounds of our Easter ham. I had no idea that we had that much left. So I ate some and put most of the rest in the freezer. I don't know how well it will thaw, but it can't be worse than what's going to happen to it if it stays in the refrigerator for much longer.

Well, Megan and I have been having a good time vacationing here in lovely Santa Barbara. We did go shopping on Wednesday, but we didn't even make it as far south as Camarillo! We had so much luck in that colorful mall somewhere just south of Ventura (Old Navy, TJ Maxx, Nordstrom Rack) that we exhausted our shopping potential early and headed home. We then hit Video Schmideo's two-for-one Wednesday, and rented two classics of our own day: From Hell with Johnny Depp and Heather Graham and Proof of Life. You know--Meg Ryan, Russel Crowe. Megan and I might be the only two people in the entire world who would rent a movie like From Hell--in fact, we may have been the only people in the world who did rent it--but it is just the kind of lousy, B-movie that we loved to watch in college, and we wanted to recapture some of that innocence. The movie was not only horrible, but really long. I thought it had potential, to be honest. I like Johnny Depp, and I usually like his movies. Not so much this time, but that's OK. On the other hand, I enjoyed Proof of Life much more than I expected. I was really tired when we started it and I didn't think I'd make it through the first hour, but before I knew it, the movie had ended and Meg Ryan's husband was safely tucked away in her skinny, wifely arms while she was not-so-secretly yearning for what could have been between her and the ever-so-hot Russel Crowe, had her husband never been born. By the way, wasn't that guy Jodie Foster's father in Contact? As for Russel Crowe, I've never understood all the fuss. I mean, I think the guy's a decent actor, but I never found him quite as dreamy as a lot of people did. But in this movie, he really did it for me. He was confident and competent, not to mention sensitive. And hot. He'll never be what Antonio Banderas is to me, but at least now I have some appreciation for what people have been saying about him since Gladiator.

Yesterday was another lovely day. Megan met my advisor for the first time ever, which was an experience that I think she'll agree was well worth the wait. Then we headed downtown where she found an absolutely adorable bathing suit that fit her perfectly. It was the easiest bathing suit purchase that I have ever been a party to. Delirious with success, we stopped for lunch at our downtown favorite, California Pasta Something. I don't remember the last word, but believe me--it's our favorite. We split a Cajun chicken linguine and a Caesar salad, and it was so, so good. Then we managed to score on a tee-shirt that featured the Governator and claimed that "Our governor can kick your governor's ass." Megan bought it for one of the machinists at the ETH, where she works. I can't imagine that that guy won't love it. I want one pretty badly, myself. Not to wear here, of course, but for after I move. Then we walked down to the wharf and stopped for a mid-afternoon drink and narrowly missed getting crapped on by any number of sea-faring birds. It was a nice rest, and we walked back to the car and went home, stopping on the way to get the makings for a taco salad. Then we watched TV, made our taco salad and went to McConnell's for some ice cream. In the two and a half years that I've lived downtown, I've only been there once. And it's about a three-block walk. I got cinnamon ice cream, which was delightful. Then we went home and watched two episodes of Friends, one of which some of you may have noticed was the Crap Bag episode. And I have to admit that at that point I turned off the TV, because I didn't care to watch The Apprentice. I just can't get into reality TV shows. I know a lot of smart, funny and respectable people who love them, but I just can't get involved. (I did happen to catch Mr. Trump and Bill and Kwame on Katie Couric's show this morning, though.)

And today we went on a hike and then to campus, where we had the pleasure of running into Craig, Chris S. and Matt Lippert. Then we went home and took naps, and here we are, sitting on our butts and playing with the computer. Wireless internet is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home