Weathering

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

the whole memory-lane thing

I was just reading through some of my earliest posts on this blog, and man, I gotta tell you--I miss the old me. I change so many diapers these days that getting crapped on by a bird on the way to Rob Gym is nothing close to newsworthy. Well, I suppose being in the vicinity of Rob Gym would be newsworthy, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the part that I focused on at the time. What a zest for life I had back then! What a lot of time I had back then!

On the subject of diapers, let me tell the world that I don't actually mind changing diapers, but I do mind cleaning out training potties or whatever those disgusting things that kids use before they're big enough to use the toilet are called. We don't have ours anymore. I declared them retired. Will just uses the toilet. Sure, he's terrified that he's going to fall in (again), but what doesn't kill him makes him stronger. And yes, I know you can buy those things that go over the regular toilet seat to convert it for a small-derriered individual, but Will's daddy taught him early on to pee standing up, so he sits on the toilet relatively infrequently and does pretty much fine, so I think we're good with the system we have. Hopefully Ryan will be as quick a study.

4 Comments:

  • I was just thinking about that. All the toilet-training manuals mention cleaning that thing out very matter-of-factly like it's no big deal, so I was wondering if it actually wasn't as disgusting as it sounded. Because it sounds pretty disgusting.

    By Anonymous Jess, at 7:48 PM, August 12, 2009  

  • Yeah, it's really gross. I wish we had just started with one of those toilet-seat converter things and just never dealt with it. That's definitely what I plan to do with Ryan. Plus, Ryan always found Will's little potty very, very fascinating, and it got extremely annoying to keep him away from it. I'm really pretty easy going about germs and the like, but I do draw the line at a kid putting a potty in his mouth.

    By Blogger Heather, at 12:52 PM, August 13, 2009  

  • Yeah, we own one of the potty things but Henry shows zero interest in it and is pretty fascinated by the toilet, so I think a converter seat might be the way to go. The whole discussion is still extremely theoretical for us, though, so we'll see.

    By Anonymous Jess, at 1:51 PM, August 13, 2009  

  • For the record, if the potty seat has a lid, it makes a great step stool so the kid can clamber onto the toilet (unless someone has the potty seat in his mouth at the time.)

    Wendy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:45 PM, August 17, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home