Weathering

Sunday, July 01, 2007

More details


This is the outfit that my parents bought Will and clothed him in during the twenty-five minutes that it took me and Matt to sign all of the settlement papers and collect the keys to our new house. My parents work quickly when they're on a mission. I think they're excited that Will is moving two hours closer to them.

The good news is that we still like our house. I was a little bit afraid that I was playing it up in my memory during the last six weeks or so and making it seem cuter than it really was, but I don't think so. Now that we've spent almost a day there (we slept there Thursday night after the closing) we have found lots of things that we want to do with the place and little changes that we want to make, but we also discovered some nice things that we didn't notice when we were checking the place out, like the pretty little cabinet in the downstairs bathroom that I think I assumed the former owners would take with them. They also very thoughtfully left post-it notes on some of the light switches to let us know what they were for. And they left toilet paper in both bathrooms and some handsoap in the kitchen. We met the sellers at the closing, and they seemed awfully nice. I know not everybody has such a favorable interaction with their sellers, so we were lucky.

On Thursday we also bought a refrigerator. We had all these Consumer Reports lists for various types of refrigerators, so we took those with us to the Sears Outlet, where you can buy appliances at significant discounts due to mostly inconsequential blemishes. We couldn't even find the problem with the one that we bought. And we didn't end up using the Consumer Reports list because we didn't have one for the bottom-freezer style, which is what we ended up going with. We mostly chose it because of all the cool compartments inside the refrigerator door. I'm not sure how I feel about having the freezer down so low, but I'm sure we'll get used to that. And it will probably be nice to have the refrigerator stuff up high. Now we have to buy a washer and dryer, and that will take care of the major shopping. Oh, and a lawnmower.

Here's a picture of Matt in the kitchen and Will in the dining area.

3 Comments:

  • My sister has a bottom-freezer fridge and she loves it. You end up bending less because most people open the freezer a lot less than the main part of the fridge. (Unless, like me, your diet consists mostly of ice cream.)
    - Debbie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:08 AM, July 02, 2007  

  • Bottom freezers are good because stuff can't fall out when you open the door.

    --Robbie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:33 AM, July 03, 2007  

  • I know I already told you this, but I'd like to publicly endorse your refrigerator choice. I think a bottom-freezer is probably ideal, because the food you use most often is the food at eye level.

    Anything's better than a side-by-side, though. Even keeping your food in an Igloo cooler.

    By Blogger JS, at 9:13 AM, July 06, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home