Weathering

Wednesday, April 21, 2004

I just ate a pound of asparagus heads.

That's not really true--I ate the heads off of a pound of asparagus. But that's still a lot of asparagus. Matt doesn't like asparagus, so the responsibility was all mine. And I had to eat it ALL because we bought it a week and a half ago, and I didn't think it would last much longer. So now it's gone and I don't know what we'll have for dinner tomorrow. Ham, probably. And canned vegetables. That's my guess.

So today was a day that I don't think should have existed for me. Nothing went horribly wrong, but all day I felt partially asleep. And all day I was really sore from Pump class on Monday (that's a weight-lifting class). And even though my experiments are going pretty well in general, today things kind of went to hell. Today I discovered that six of the eight electrical contacts on my new sample are bad, which means that the whole thing is worthless. Tomorrow I will see what I can do to resurrect it, but today I didn't have the energy to deal with it. Today I also looked for Buebbles' office on the wrong floor, which meant that I ended up in the main physics department office instead of the astrophysics wing. And the weirdest thing about that was that I didn't realize what had gone wrong for the longest time--I just figured that somehow the astrophysicists had acquired a new receptionist. Hell, they did just get a new espresso maker. And today I advised the chemist in my group to hook a current up to a diode in the wrong direction. I understood the physics of the situation; it was just that I was thinking that current should flow from negative to positive. I understand that the convention is the opposite way, but it made sense to me (and still does). But it was backwards and he gave me a hard time and jokingly (I think) said, "And you're the physicist." I refrained from explaining at that point that the last thing a physicist wants to be confused with is an electrical engineer. (Sorry, Meggie.)

On the other hand, I had a lovely conversation with Julie, who described to me a new restaurant that serves fried olives stuffed with salsa and cream cheese, or something like that. Provocative, don't you think?

And we are going to Catalina in mere days. Five days, I guess. But the vacation starts in four days, when we head to LA to visit the La Brea tar pits and stay on the Queen Mary, a haunted ship docked in Long Beach. I'm not all that psyched about staying in a haunted anything, but the price was the same as the Travel Lodge, and at least it should have some character. I once saw an Unsolved Mysteries, or some such television show, about a haunted hotel, and I've always been kind of scared of that kind of thing ever since.

Anyway, Matt has kindly done the laundry and we are soon heading over to Helen and Buebbles' place to watch West Wing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home