Weathering

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween!


We had a really fun Halloween, and I hope you did too. Will decided earlier this month that he would never, ever wear the lion costume that we bought for him (see below), so instead of despairing, I dressed him in the Tom Brady jersey that my sister gave him for his birthday and added some smudged makeup beneath his eyes to complete the look. Will seemed to actually enjoy this costume, and he looked adorable.



We got our first trick-or-treaters sometime around 6:30 and they trickled steadily from then on until about 8:00. We ended up giving out somewhat more than half of the enormous amount of candy that I bought. I was involved last year in an incident that may have included running out of Halloween candy while kids were still knocking at the door, and I never want to live through that again. So I went a little crazy, but candy will never go to waste in our household. But anyway, Will had a good time helping me answer the door and lots of people told us how cute the baby was, and Will didn't even bother to get upset that people were calling him a baby. But the best part of all was when I refilled the bowl of candy and Will took a bunch of different types to play with. He sat on the floor for several minutes sorting them into various piles. Matt and I always wonder what sorting criteria he uses when he does stuff like this. It is fascinating. But then he wanted to put his Snickers bars back in the bowl with the other candy, but I just didn't think that was a good idea since they bore his handmarks by that point. So Matt got him a little bowl of his own, which was a huge hit. He then sorted the candy into various piles and placed them in the correct order into the bowl and then removed them. Over and over again. Then, not to toot my own horn too much, I got him a second bowl and that's when the party really started. He sorted and filled bowls and transferred piles between bowls until he got tired and it was bath time. I really, really had a good time watching him enjoy himself so much.



In other news, Will had his appointment with the ENT this morning. It went quite well, and the doctor basically said that although four ear infections in six months is a standard that they use for putting tubes in kids' ears, Will's ears today looked really good and clear of fluid, so he thought we should wait a while and see how bad this winter ends up being. He said that kids generally tend to outgrow their susceptibility toward ear infections, so that would probably happen for Will without tubal intervention. (I made up that last phrase--it not medically endorsed.) So that is good, and I agreed wholeheartedly with his assessment. If he had said, "Oh yes, this kid obviously needs tubes to live a happy childhood," I would have agreed too--I'm not a real doctor, after all--but this is certainly the less worrisome option, at least for now.

1 Comments:

  • Cutie! Sounds like you had a nice Halloween. I love when Rorie does that kind of stuff. It is so amusing to watch. Good news about the ear tubes.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:20 PM, November 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home