Weathering

Monday, December 10, 2007

the cure

For those of you wondering about my miserable cold, worry no longer. Today I went to the doctor and was officially diagnosed with a sinus infection (since I am a fake doctor I already diagnosed myself using information from WebMD, but I didn't bring that up during my appointment). And I'm already starting to feel better. It seems weird that one dose of antibiotic would make such a difference, but I'm not complaining.

This past weekend we went to Falls Church, VA to visit all three of my sisters. It was a good time. We ate baked ziti and lasagna. We were going to go to the zoo, but I wasn't feeling up to it. So we slept in, got on the road during the late morning and basically hung around Meagan's apartment, ate, and then got back on the road. Will slept for about an hour and a half on the way home, which seemed good at the time but was a disaster later that evening. He just wasn't tired enough to stay asleep once he went to bed, so he was up crying for hours, until around 11:00. Since his newborn days just weren't that long ago I still seize up with fear every time I hear his voice in the middle of the night, so convinced am I that we're all going to be up for hours and hours and hours. And hours. And I will never sleep again. But that rarely happens these days because when he wakes up in the middle of the night he generally falls right back asleep. But not Saturday night. Matt spent forty-five minutes or so reading to him in his room to calm him back down to go back to sleep, but he started crying again as soon as his head hit the mattress. And he cried for quite a while. And then he fell asleep again until Matt went back into his room to cover him up with a blanket and he woke up again. And cried again. For a very long time. But Sunday night he slept a solid twelve hours and then another hour and a half this afternoon. His maximum nap length is usually a half hour, so I guess he really needed to catch up on sleep. In any case, I know of babies Will's age who still don't sleep through the night so we're lucky he's been doing it for so long, but I've gotten spoiled during these last several months of uninterrupted full nights of sleep.

2 Comments:

  • Ah, "sleeping through the night" rarely means uninterrupted sleep for us. Rorie seems to wake up once or twice a night crying -- in her sleep. A quick binky later and she collapses back into sound sleep as if she never woke up.

    So, Will actually likes stories? They call him down at night? There's basically NOTHING that calms Rorie down. Rorie loves books but won't let you just sit there and read one without turning the pages herself and pointing at the pictures. It's nice in its own way but if she ever really woke up at night, I have no idea how we'd get her to calm back down to sleep.

    --chris s

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:54 PM, December 10, 2007  

  • Will has two stories that we've read to him at night since he was a tiny baby, and when we read those he usually calms down, assuming he's tired enough. During the day he's more like Rorie, though. But he loves books. He always wants us to read to him, even if that just means flipping quickly through the book as he turns the pages.

    By Blogger Heather, at 7:49 PM, December 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home