Weathering

Wednesday, March 31, 2004

A veil of doom has fallen over the UCSB campus

Actually, I think it's the usual winter-spring fog that will be here until July, but this morning it struck me as foreboding, especially since it was sunny and beautiful downtown. But nothing much seems to have changed here since I left. It never does, so I'm not surprised. I sincerely think that I could leave for two months and return to find things exactly how they were when I left. That's just the nature of this place.

Well, the interview. I don't have much to say about it because it went almost exactly as I expected. The people were very nice and interesting to talk to. They asked about my background and why I was interested in the fellowship, and then we launched into the topic that I had prepared. I think it went fairly well, mostly because I had prepared notes the night before, which I was allowed to use. Then they asked me the topic that I hadn't prepared for (a question about whether Congress should pass a bill that would grant 5-year visas to senior scientists from foreign countries to work in collaboration with American scientists). That was an interesting question, but I have no way to gauge how well I did, because there was little reaction from the committee. I think since I was first, I might be at somewhat of a disadvantage there, because I bet they were reserving judgment for later. But anyway, I wasn't horribly nervous and I had a good time, and what happens will happen. I would like the job, but if I don't get it, I'll find something else. Several of Matt's future colleagues have already offered to help set me up with contacts in the science policy world, which is encouraging.

So, after the interview I walked back to Meagan's apartment to find on my shoe the most intensely Crayola-red-colored stream of blood that I have ever seen. I guess the euphoria of finishing the interview dulled the pain receptors on my heels because I had no idea that they were in such bad shape. The shoes are actually Meagan's, and I'm afraid I may have ruined them for her because both heels are now stained with blood. Blood that isn't hers, that is. She said I could just have them, but my suitcase was already full and heavy, and frankly, they hurt my feet. So, anyway, we then took the metro to the sushi buffet in Ballston, which was fun and quite inexpensive, considering it was all-you-can-eat. Then we took the metro to Meagan's office, and walked around Old Town Alexandria for a while. It was chilly out and we stopped for some coffee, thinking we could sit for a while. But there was no seating, so we took our drinks and walked back to the metro and went back home. And there we relaxed, watched Pirates of the Caribbean and had a fabulous dinner. Oh, I forgot the part about Supermarket, but you can read Meagan's journal to learn about that. Let me tell you this, though--my sister Meagan pours a mean glass of Pinot Grigio.

So yesterday was my big travel day. I was kind of nervous about taking the metro to the bus to the airplane, but it worked out just fine, was actually quite simple and cost less than $6. And that includes the airplane ride, because that was on the APS! Now I'm not the happiest of flyers in the world, but I have to say that yesterday's flights really were not bad. They were a little bumpy, but it was no big deal, and both flights got in early. Matt picked me up at LAX and we headed north to Santa Barbara, via the Camarillo Outlet Mall. And last night I did basically nothing but sleep while Matt did all of our laundry. And it was a lot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home