Weathering

Sunday, May 30, 2004

Happy Memorial Day Weekend

Mine's been OK, how about yours? Yesterday I got my hair cut, but that's not interesting. What is interesting is that I got my hair cut by a person other than Jenny, the only stylist in Santa Barbara ever in six years to cut my hair. I desperately hope that she doesn't read this blog. I'm hoping just to fade out of her life, a happy memory, no goodbyes. She's a nice woman and, I believe, a competent hair stylist. But she doesn't have vision, and that's what my hair needs these days. I've wanted a change for a while, and with Jenny, it just doesn't happen. I tell her I'm tired of my hair and she looks concerned and says she can either cut it short or add layers. I bring her a picture of what I want and she gets quiet and upset-looking and cuts my hair so that it looks exactly like it did before I showed her the really cute picture. I think she's afraid that if she changes anything, I won't like it. But I'm to blame for being a passive victim; after each haircut I tell her how much I like it and how I'm looking forward to seeing her again in three months and then give her a decent tip. And two and a half months later I start to fret over going back because I need a haircut, but don't want to face the inevitable disappointment. This time I fretted for longer than average before calling for an appointment, and was rewarded: Jenny was on vacation until June 1. What a perfect excuse to take my frizzy head elsewhere! So I asked around to the extent that a woman who works in a physics department can, and ended up going to the place that Dr. J recommended. The woman (Sarah) who cut my hair was young and hip, and took charge when I told her I wanted something different, but couldn't offer specifics. She trimmed, she added shape, she angled the front sections, she layered the back. The result is not dramatically different from what I had, but it does feel good. I anticipate having one more haircut in Santa Barbara, and I'm going back to Sarah.

Other than that, yesterday we went for a lovely walk on the beach with Helen and Buebbles. We then rented Love Actually, ate spaghetti and meatballs at their place, watched the movie and came home. This morning Matt went to judo and I stayed home, read, talked to my sister Kate and did the laundry. Matt came home for lunch and we decided to walk to The Daily Grind to split a sandwich. Then Matt headed to campus for the afternoon, and I settled back in with my book. I then went for a very nice run with Helen and Buebbles. Helen and I started running last weekend, and I like it a lot. I used to hate running, but the path where we run is right along the beach downtown and is very flat, which I'm pretty sure makes a big difference. This is the third time we've gone, and each time we run just a bit longer before we stop and walk. I never thought I'd say this about running, but so far, I've enjoyed it. Now I am starving and wish Matt would come home with groceries so that we might make dinner! Tomorrow, I'm working in the lab. Yeah, not much of a Memorial Day, but I don't have anything else to do anyway. If Matt didn't have the FEL, maybe we could have a little barbecue, but he does, and we won't.

3 Comments:

  • How about pictures of the gorgeous new do? =-) Happy Memorial Day Heat! Also what is an FEL? Hope your weather is as nice as ours is this weekend.
    Love,
    lizzie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:26 AM, May 31, 2004  

  • It's a horrible, horrible disease, Liz. Jeez, and you're the (real) doctor. What, didn't you learn about it in medical school?

    (It means free electron laser--it's the fancy laser shared by many people at UCSB, so he only gets to use it once or twice a week, and this week he only got it for today, which is kind of a bummer because I have the feeling that most of the people who are usually here are having barbecues at the beach.)

    By Blogger Heather, at 12:45 PM, May 31, 2004  

  • Well, you had me scared there for a minute. =-) So getting laser time is kind of equivalent to trying to get magnet time? Yikes, bad luck about having it on Memorial day then. We spent memorial day shoveling rocks at my parents house. But then we got to have lamb chops marinated in apple cider and then cooked on the grill as a reward. YUM! Hope all went well with the FEL.
    =-) Lizzie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:46 AM, June 01, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home