Weathering

Wednesday, May 12, 2004

An up-and-down kind of day

Today has been so weird. I don't know where to begin. Sorry for the cryptic opening to this post--it really isn't all that interesting. In any case, I haven't been feeling great. Yesterday I stayed home sick, and today I was better enough to want to come to work, but I'm still low on energy and dealing with a sore throat and stuffy head. And Matt and I had this unpleasant discussion this morning about the relative pros and cons of my applying for an internship to begin in September or waiting until January. And that kind of sucked, but Big Wednesday was fun. And then I got back to the lab to find an email from my advisor saying that one of my papers got accepted by a nice journal. I was really excited by that. And as you know, I was also pretty excited by Blogger's new options. So I was having a decent afternoon, when my boss came to the lab to tell me that it turns out that she can only pay me through June. And that's next month. That was kind of a problem, but I wasn't really upset because there was a chance that I could get paid through the university to do something different from research, which I thought might be a nice way to spend my last months in Santa Barbara. The pay would be less than what I make now, but it would be enough to live on. Then I talked to Matt, who only seemed to see the financial hardship inherent in the situation, and, as a result, was kind of upset. And then my boss returned to tell me that she was wrong--there is enough money to pay me through August, as we had originally planned. But absolutely no longer than that. So in one sense, I'm relieved, but I'm also a bit disappointed. Matt is just relieved. And I guess I'm applying for the internship in September, even though I had pretty much decided, for about 100 reasons, that waiting until January made more sense. So, I guess that's the plan. Applications are due June 1, so I'd better start working in earnest on mine soon.

In other news, I had a really nice time at Debbie's wedding. It went off without a hitch, although there were some uncomfortable moments near the beginning, when the reader was missing. I'm trying to get access once again to my university webpage so that I can post pictures, but I'm not having any luck with that. Hmmm, I think I can upload them to Shutterfly, which is probably the best solution. I'll let you know. In any case, the wedding was nice, Debbie looked beautiful and the reception was fun. The DJ took requests, and I have the feeling that only one or two other people in the entire reception made any, because he'd almost always play ours within one or two songs of the time we asked him. And we requested some great ones, of course (The Gambler and Another One Bites the Dust, for example). And I got to take a centerpiece home to give to my grandmother for Mother's Day, which was an excellent bonus. My sole complaint about the weekend was that I was not wrong to worry about getting from place to place. We did manage to get everywhere basically on time, but there were some rough moments involving missed turns and absent highways. However, we ended up giving Liz a ride from Albany, which more than made up for any unpleasantness that I experienced due to being lost or worrying about being late.

5 Comments:

  • Sorry about the work stuff, but congratulations on the paper! That's awesome!!

    Liz loved being able to ride to the wedding (and various and sundry related events) with the Walling-Dotys and is extremely grateful. She also had a wonderful weekend due, in large part, to hanging out so much with said Walling-Dotys. =-)

    Congrats on the paper Heat! Good luck with the job apps! =-)

    Love,
    Lizzie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:54 PM, May 12, 2004  

  • Dr Tizzed sezz:

    God help me if there's ever a DJ at a wedding that I'm at that takes requests...

    During Julie's wedding, DJ gavin played 'Blister in the Sun' and I requested 'Turning Japanese' to make the songs ... ahem.. themed. (Which he did... I tried for a while to add "I touch Myself" by the Divinyls, but no dice)

    At another wedding (which was the WORST wedding of my life), the Bride and groom asked people to sing a song to make them kiss. My date had to physically restrain me from singing 'Girl, you'll be a woman soon' (But I wasn't as far along in my software version, so I plied to her request..) tizzed would've totally done it..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:46 PM, May 12, 2004  

  • Awwwwww! I can't believe how often this "maybe we'll pay you, but only after you've given up on us and have looked to another career" stuff happens in science. I think we temporary employees should join the French scientists and revolt.

    Nice Catilina pictures, very pretty! The mainland photos took me on a walk down memory lane because some older family member, probably grandmothers, always took me to see the queen mary and the tar pits.

    Living on temporary money in a foreign country with no hope in sight of getting a real paycheck-DrJ

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:50 AM, May 13, 2004  

  • Hey Dr. J! Hang in there... I finally got paid.

    You should kick that lady's ass, Heat. Seriously. That's just unprofessional to jerk someone around that way. Bizatch. I'm picturing... Matt in a ninja suit, lurking around her car as she goes to leave. He could use the weapon of his choice. Then you could stash the body under the "material used on aircraft carriers" and make a run for the border.

    By Blogger megan, at 11:07 AM, May 13, 2004  

  • I'm sure you already thought of this, but you could just screw up the application for the September one and then do a good job on the january one.

    Something like "I got into science cus I thought there would be alot of oportunities to meet boys...."

    --Robbie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:13 PM, May 13, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home