Weathering

Saturday, May 22, 2004

The big move

Matt is back from San Francisco, and we have started talking about a driving route for our move next fall. I'm excited about that. He wants to go to Bryce Canyon and I want to go to Dinosaur National Park, and luckily for us, they're both in Utah and will be easy to incorporate into our trip. We figure we'll drive to Las Vegas the first day, which will be a nice easy drive, see the Hoover Dam and head to Bryce Canyon the next day. I don't know how long we'll spend there, but then we'll continue on to Dinosaur National Park, and spend a day or so there. From there we tentatively plan to cross the Rockies, continue into Nebraska and eastward, visiting as many people along the way as will have us in the following cities: Omaha, Chicago, Ft. Wayne, Pittsburgh, Washington, DC. This is all supposed to happen in mid-October, so get your calendars out, people! In celebration of finally feeling ready to start planning this trip, I think I will buy myself a new atlas. The one that I have now is the one that I first crossed the country with six years ago, and it's seen better days. Also, thank you once again to Jess and Robbie for the beautiful National Geographic guide books that they gave us for Christmas--they have been instrumental in our planning.

In other news, last night we saw The Triplets of Belleville. Though I did laugh in a few places, I found the movie on the boring side. I agree with Matt that it would have made a perfectly fine 15-minute short, or something like that, but I had a hard time appreciating the animation with so little actually going on. I wouldn't say I disliked the movie necessarily, but since I had read a lot of positive hype, I think I set myself up for a disappointment. In any case, it was free for UCSB students and I got my ticket for $5, so I certainly can't complain about the price.

Today Matt has been working on his thesis and I have been a domestic goddess. I did the dishes, the laundry and cleaned the front patio. When we first moved into this apartment, the patio was one of the things that we anticipated enjoying the most. We soon found, however, that the plantlife surrounding the patio overruns all usuable space with such abandon that without constant upkeep, there basically is no usable space. So, that's OK. We never sit out there like we thought we would, but it's still a nice entrance to the apartment. I try to sweep it every weekend, though, otherwise people track leaves inside, which I hate. I mean, I do it, too. It's basically unavoidable. So today I swept and trimmed the vines that grow all over the fence. They're pretty, but they grow entirely too quickly, which gives the patio a bit of a jungle feel, which I don't like.

OK, it's time for me to be off. I have to get the last loads of laundry from the dryer, and then Matt and I are meeting Helen and Buebbles to play catch and kick a soccer ball around. Now that we've been living here for around six years and are moving soon, we figure it's time to seriously take advantage of the beautiful weather and ample park space that Santa Barbara offers.

4 Comments:

  • there is plenty of laundry to do at my house if you get bored and want to do more . . . basically all the laundry you yourself witnessed on my floor PLUS another two weeks worth = pretty much everything I own. =-) good luck with the trip plannninng! Too bad Maine isn't technically onn the way to DC.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:39 PM, May 22, 2004  

  • Yes, you should go out and enjoy the nice weather! And I also urge you to start eating guacamole for three meals a day. You'll be glad you did.
    I'm very excited that you'll be coming through here in October. If you want, we could probably come with you to help you set up your place (we could stay with Robbie's brothers)--or we could come later if that would be easier. We are easygoing folk.

    By Blogger JS, at 7:09 PM, May 23, 2004  

  • We are also easygoing folk, but more signficantly, unprepared to make that detailed of a decision this far in advance. I still have an image in my mind of a huge group of us (including Tizzed and Robbie's brothers) sitting in lawn chairs on the sidewalk in front of our apartment, drinking margaritas and offering moral support to the professional movers who are hauling all of our heavy stuff up multiple floors of stairs. The thing is, I'm also picturing us in shorts and tank tops, when we'll actually probably be bundled up in flannel-lined khakis. (For the record, I wasn't picturing Tizzed or Robbie's brothers in tank tops. Light tee-shirts, sure, but not tank tops.) And thank you for the offer--we will love to have you help us set stuff up.

    By Blogger Heather, at 4:37 PM, May 24, 2004  

  • Oh, and--I had a vague feeling that I was going to lend you some National Geographic books that I didn't get you for Christmas, but now I can't remember which books I got for you. Which were they? If I do have different ones to lend, I'll bring them in two weeks.

    By Blogger JS, at 10:27 PM, May 24, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home