Weathering

Saturday, July 03, 2004

Matt and JR are sleeping. I am working.

That doesn't seem fair. But, to be clear, I am working on my church newsletter, which is fun work. Except that I'm now formatting the calendar, which is my least favorite part. It's also typically the last thing I do, since I have a hard time saving the fun stuff for last. Jess and I used to edit the newsletter together when she still lived in Santa Barbara, and she usually did the calendar. Bless her for that, I say.

I am having a great July 4 weekend, and I'll tell you why. Yesterday, for no apparent reason, my advisor called me in the lab and told me that she thought I should warm the cryostat up and enjoy a long weekend, and then work on paper revisions next week. Maybe she has lost faith in my abilities as an experimentalist, but that is A-OK with me. I mean, it's not like she'd be the only one. And after next week, I'll have, what, seven weeks left? Something like that.

This morning Matt and I had breakfast at a bagel shop that we discovered this past week called Manhattan Bagels. It wasn't bad. One of the things that east-coast natives typically find less than adequate about California is the quality of the bagels. This place was an improvement over most others that I've experienced in Santa Barbara, but I tell you, it was no Bagel Basement, which is where Megan and I used to get bagels at Dartmouth.

Tonight we're having a pre-Fourth-of-July barbecue with Helen and Buebbles. It's also to celebrate their first anniversary, which is Monday. We're making kabobs, corn, salad and jambalaya-style rice. I think it will be good. Matt and I know next to nothing about cuts of beef or how to prepare them, so I called my parents while we were at Albertson's this morning. They were full of advice, which I appreciated. I think Matt was less appreciative because he only heard the parts of the conversation that I repeated to him. He ended up standing next to me for a good five minutes holding two pounds of top sirloin something-or-other and waiting for me to get off the phone. Eventually he gave up on that and completed the shopping trip while I chatted with my parents about clothes, my sisters' jobs and my parent's a**hole neighbor. I'm pretty sure that a good time was had by all.

And this afternoon we prepared the meat, I baked a cake and Matt made banana bread. Matt also cleaned the shower and bathroom sink, while I worked on the newsletter. It's been a productive and pleasant Saturday, the first day of a three-day weekend! Not being at UCSB makes me very happy.

Happy Fourth of July, everyone!

4 Comments:

  • To be fair, while you and Matt are sleeping, JR is usually hard at work, welding and saving the world from communism.
    And you're right, the calendar blows. Especially when you spend six hours aligning it, and then that annoying guy tells you it's not perfect.

    By Blogger JS, at 12:10 AM, July 04, 2004  

  • Weird, I posted a comment here but it never showed up. I sympathize with your calendar woes, anyhow...

    By Blogger JS, at 5:03 PM, July 05, 2004  

  • Oh, now there it is. This just gets weirder and weirder.
    And now I shall stop filling up your comments...

    By Blogger JS, at 5:04 PM, July 05, 2004  

  • Yeah, it seems to take a while for the comments to appear. It's kind of annoying.

    By Blogger Heather, at 6:10 PM, July 05, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home