Weathering

Saturday, June 05, 2004

Another Saturday night, another helium transfer

Yep, I'm in my boring old lab, where my cryostat is very slooooowly being filled with liquid helium and liquid nitrogen. I didn't want to come in today, but it was either today or tomorrow, so I figured I'd get it over with, since we had to go out to return a movie anyway. I can't tell you how much I look forward to the days when I don't have a cryostat to deal with over the weekends. (Or during the week, for that matter.)

So, last night we rented The Company, Neve Campbell's movie about a ballet company, based on the Joffrey Ballet. If you don't like ballet, don't bother with it. There is a lot of dancing and next to no plot. If you don't mind ballet and like pretty movies, give it a try. Matt's not much into ballet, but enjoyed the movie. If you love ballet, definitely rent it. I liked it a lot. There aren't many special features and the "making of" featurette is very short, but I found it interesting.

And now on to my biggest story: This morning I saw a dog riding a skateboard. No, really riding it. It would push for a couple of steps with two legs and then jump all the way onto the board and glide for a while and then start pushing again. It was phenomenal. I laughed so hard that I started crying. Oh, this was at the Big Dog Parade on State Street. It was the leader of the parade--no seventy-six trombones here. It made my day. And then I went home and found out that Ronald Reagan had died. I was way too young to understand anything about his politics, but he is the first president that I remember as a kid, so I was kind of sad to hear the news. I mean, he was really old and suffering, so I'm sure it was also something of a relief, but still. I remember feeling sad when Richard Nixon died, and he was way before my time.

And THEN there was the Belmont Stakes. Ooh, doggy. I liked that the race was close at the end, but I thought that Smarty Jones was going to win. I guess I wasn't the only one.

And then there was lots and lots and lots of cleaning. Long ago I designated today spring cleaning day. Mostly that's because Robbie and Jess are coming this week, but also because I think it's a good idea to clean every, you know, once in a while. I hand-scrubbed the kitchen floor. Now, to be fair, I'll let you know that the kitchen floor is tiny. But still. Hands and knees. The works. Now I am exhausted and I just finished up the cryostat business, so I am off.

12 Comments:

  • Maybe, as long as you are in a cleaning mood, you could come clean my kitchen floor. The other day I was washing dishes and my feet kept sticking to the floor. I tried washing the floor, just at that spot, so it would stop annoying me. But I think my feet were dirty enough at that point that there was no hope. Still sticky. So I moved the rug closer to the sink and stood on that.

    Megan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:05 AM, June 06, 2004  

  • I think it was hard not to feel sorry for Nixon, and thus feel sort of sorry when he died. It's hard not to feel sorry for someone who's clearly so intelligent and yet messed everything up so fundamentally...
    And Matt very carefully assured me on the phone yesterday that you were _not_ cleaning for our arrival. I'm shocked--shocked!--to learn otherwise. (And of course, I'll bring my white gloves to inspect the floor...)

    By Blogger JS, at 1:08 PM, June 06, 2004  

  • I wouldn't worry about cleaning on our account. Jess is planning on upper decking your toilet......

    --Robbie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:13 PM, June 06, 2004  

  • What does it mean to upper deck a toilet? I mean, I can't wait, but I do wonder what it is.

    By Blogger Heather, at 8:27 PM, June 06, 2004  

  • I was wondering about that too . . . the upper decking that is. =-) Seems like a shame to do any major remodeling just before they leave though. Maybe you should wait and upper deck their new toilet when they move to DC.

    =-)
    Lizzie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:00 AM, June 07, 2004  

  • I think it is better if I don't tell you what upper decking is and you just discover it on your own. That is how it is best experienced.

    --Robbie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:25 AM, June 07, 2004  

  • Oh, dear.
    I suspect, though am afraid to confirm, that Google is very helpful on this topic. Delicacy prevents me from elaborating on it myself in a public forum. (Now, whether delicacy prevents me from actually doing it has a lot to do with the level of bacchanalia that we reach this weekend. Although I think you'll benefit from the fact that coordination tends to go down as inhibitions do...)

    By Blogger JS, at 1:50 PM, June 07, 2004  

  • Oh dear. I can see I will have to google this if I am to learn anything useful (since I won't actually BE at the graduation weekend myself to witness the upper decking in person).

    =-)
    Lizzie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:15 PM, June 07, 2004  

  • Ewwww. I'm sorry I asked. Well, have fun but hopefully nobody will be drunk enough to do THAT to Heather and Matt's toilet. And I thought that the Dartmouth contingent was bad. You Princeton people are something else altogether. =-) Geeze, we just joke about s*x. =-)

    Lizzie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:17 PM, June 07, 2004  

  • See, but I don't know that, in the history of the world, an upper-decking has ever actually taken place. It may be mythical, like the snuff film. And you have to admit, though disgusting, it is a sort of genius idea.
    Robbie has now decided to upper-deck Lars' toilet instead.

    By Blogger JS, at 12:12 AM, June 08, 2004  

  • Well, probably better for this Lars guy anyways. With regards to all of my previous comments on this subject, if you DO have to do this to Matt and Heat for some reason, I now suggest you do it to their toilet in SB, which they will soon be leaving. =-) As opposed to my earlier suggestion to wait until they get to DC. =-)

    Lizzie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:11 AM, June 08, 2004  

  • Oh, believe you me, the snuff film is no myth.

    Megan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:52 AM, June 08, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home