Weathering

Friday, February 16, 2007

the weekend


This week has lasted forever, and I'm not sure why. I got out of work two hours early on Tuesday and got to go in two hours late on Wednesday because of an ice storm. And today I didn't go at all because of a book club meeting with the moms' group (I worked extra hours last week and on Monday to make up for today). But still, Wednesday felt like it should have been Friday. And yesterday was quite an adventure coming home from work. I picked Will up at daycare and put him in the stroller, not even considering how poorly cleared the sidewalks would be between daycare and home. For anyone considering buying a baby stroller, I highly recommend the Graco Metrolite, except in the snow, where it is useless. In fairness, I'm sure it's not designed to operate on snowy sidewalks, and I really should have realized in advance that it would be a problem. I could have taken the metro home and then taken the car to pick up Will. Instead I carried the entire stroller, including the carseat, baby, and breastpump underneath, over blocks and blocks of uncleared or partially cleared sidwalks. We stopped pretty regularly to rest. At one point a firetruck (an SUV, actually) stopped and the driver asked if we were OK. I (stupidly) said we were fine, thanks. I bet he would have driven us home if I had not said that we were OK. But eventually we made it and I will never do that again. At least until the next time.

On the feeding front, things are not going well anymore. The first two days Will loved rice cereal. Since then, he's hardly wanted to touch it. I've tried mixing it with formula and breastmilk, and it doesn't seem to make a different. We've tried oatmeal the last couple of days and he won't eat that either. I wouldn't be surprised if he hadn't taken so readily to it last weekend. I'm not worried because it would be fine if we didn't even start him on cereal until six months, but I find it pretty strange. I've tried at different times in the day and at different times in his eating schedule. At best he is indifferent to the cereal and plays with the spoon, thus avoiding the offense of possibly eating anything. At worst he makes this hideously disgusted face as soon as he tastes it and then chokes before spitting everything back out. Maybe he just doesn't like cereal. I don't like cereal all that much, after all.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home