Weathering

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

New bedtime routine



It's been a while since I've posted here, partially because my job got really busy and partially because our non-work lives got really busy and Facebook was a far easier way to communicate with people. However, I found out this past week that people that I didn't have any idea read my blog missed it! What can I say--I'm flattered, so it's back, at least a little bit.

As you might surmise from the above photos, as of last night Will and Ryan are roommates. We just returned home from a monster ten-day trip during which we were in Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut. During this trip the four of us spent a lot of time together in hotel rooms, and the boys enjoyed each other's company as they fell asleep. They also shared a room (just the two of them) for four nights at my parents' house, which went much more smoothly than I expected. So stuck in traffic on I-95 in NYC on Monday, I casually proposed moving Will's bed up to Ryan's room so that they could share a room at home. Will declared he wanted to do it that very day and Ryan just smiled his famous RyGuy smile at the very thought. Thus it was decided and (many) hours later implemented. We haven't entirely smoothed out the new bedtime routine, but it will take time. For one thing, we're all exhausted from our trip. And the boys obviously get pretty worked up about their new room situation, so bedtime is chaotic. Matt has had to stay with them in the room until they fall asleep in order to make it work, but we're pros now at phasing these things out. We want to give them a chance to genuinely adjust to the change before we switch things up too much, but we anticipate that relatively soon we'll be able to bribe them into a bedtime routine acceptable to everyone.

Next project: turning Will's old room into a playroom and the current play space into a small sitting space. Oh, and upgrading the decor in the boys' room to something more manly, like, for example, tractors. Or diggers.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home